Wednesday 30 November 2011

June 2011 - A Big Surprise!

Sunday 5th June - It's Nick's (Craig's brother) Birthday. We were at Craig's Mum and Dad's house having a bbq. Everyone is excited about my scan on Wednesday and Craig's Gran actually had a dream the week before about us having twins! We'd joked about it but didn't really think seriously about it. I spent quite some time on my phone learning about twins and what the chances were. Craig's other Gran was an identical twin and there had been other twins in the family. I soon found out though that twins could not run on a father side. Generally twins ran on the Mothers side and most identical twins were not found to run in any family history. I left feeling quite overwhelmed, telling everyone that we would be in touch after the scan.

Wednesday 8th June - I was very nervous. I didn't know what to expect and of course I was worrying about them finding a problem. We'd already found a heartbeat on the monitor which Jodi lent us and listened in every few days but you never know. Warm gel was placed on my belly and literally as the Radiographer placed the scanner on me, she removed it again. I thought I saw something but wasn't sure. Craig saw something too but a moment of panic came over me. Was there a problem? The radiographer asked "do twins run in your family?" I looked at her and said "what? seriously? Are you joking?" Of course she wasn't, she can't joke about things like that in her job. We came away from the scan full of emotion. We were shocked but excited at the same time. We learnt that the twins were non-identical so we were then excited that we could have one of each. A ready made family all in one go!

As i'd used an online chart and my cycles were spot on, we knew that my actual due date was 18th December. The radiographers use the babies size as a dating indication at the 12 week scan and due to this, they put my date forward to 12th December.

We were going straight to Jodi's after the scan while phoning family members on the way. It took Jodi a while to see that there were two. The scan pictures say twin 1 and twin 2 but you only really look at the babies rather than the writing. It wasn't until she got to the joint pictures that she realised. She was so excited. Everyone was. Emailing out the pictures we had scanned was exciting. I wasn't going to tell my Mum until she rang that evening but she'd not heard from me and had asked by text if the scan went ok. I replied with "yes, the babies are fine" of course a response of "babies" was received as if i'd written it wrong or she'd read it incorrectly. She was extatic when she rang that evening. Speaking to her sister my Aunty Gill, it appears that twins run in their family but there haven't been any recently which is why I didn't know about it.



 Towards the end of the month we decided to take weekly progress pictures of my bump which would probably be huge by the time they arrived! It seemed that straight after the scan I started to show. I woke up one morning with a bump!

The below photo was taken on 25th June 2011 where I was 15 weeks and 6 days.

A few days after the scan we managed to find both heartbeats on the monitor. We then continued our discussions about the sexes. They say that a girl sounds like galloping horses and a boy sounds like a train. We definitely had one of each heartbeat.

19th June 2011 - It was the day of Charlie's Christening. Craig and I had been asked along with Ash's brother Jake, to be Godparents. We had a lovely day and were certainly both very proud to be Godparents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment