Thursday 1 December 2011

July 2011

July has arrived. Craig and I have probably spent a day each weekend going round Toy's R Us, Mothercare and the local shop That's My Baby.
Clearly pregnancy is suiting me, i'm feeling amazing and i'm glowing.
The below picture was taken on 2nd July. As you can see we'd already bought a moses basket. It had been bought as a joint Anniversary present and we were now waiting to find out the sex of the babies before we bought a second one.

I start getting a little tired while out in the car for work but nothing major. I'm getting bigger and feeding two babies can be quite tiring but nevertheless, i'm still feeling great.

I'm starting to feel movement now. I remember waking up at 5:30am feeling lots of movement at the bottom of my bump.  The first photo below was taken on 9th July at 17 weeks 5 days and the second taken on 15th July at 18 weeks and 5 days.



I meet my obstetrician at the hospital and she gave me a quick scan of the babies which was again amazing. She went through all the details and confirmed that 38 weeks is the actual time of induction if they haven't arrived. 38 weeks is 28th November so i'm using this as my new due date. I get home and suddenly feel a little sick and have a headache. It's worse than any headache i've ever had before and I can't even look at the light coming from the window. I phoned the surgery and was told that I probably had a migraine caused by hormones. I collected some powder. I had it again the next morning but then it had gone again so I returned to work on Wednesday.

Saturday 23rd July - I'm sat comfortable on the rug at Ash and Jodi's drinking a cuppa. It's about Midday and suddenly I feel a sharp pain on my right hand side. The pain stays when I get up and it's pretty bad. I'm thinking that one the babies is lying on a nerve and perhaps getting out and walking would help so Toy's R Us it was. Painful walking round but feeling that this is the best thing for me. The babies might move and give me some relief soon.We decide that we need to nip to Aldi and after 2 minutes of walking through the door I cannot stand anymore. I decided to leave Craig and Ash to it by joining Jodi and Charlie in the car. I'm not sure whether to sit in the car or stand outside, it's crippling. Jodi tells me to call my midwife as something isn't right. My midwife said that as I wasn't bleeding that all was probably fine but if i'm worried to pop up to the EPU. It's 3pm now and i'm driving and as no one else is insured on my car, I think it's best that we drop Ash, Jodi and Charlie off and go home. Craig and I decide that we should go up to the hospital so we literally drop off the car, grab my maternity notes and Craig drives us up there.

Stopping at the front entrance to GWH I struggled to get out of the car. The EPU is a long walk from the lift and to make it even worse when we arrived we get told that because they weren't expecting me, they can't do anything. They suggest that I go down to Clover Unit and if they think there is a problem they can refer me straight up.

I see the Nurse in Clover quickly and she gives me some paracetamol to help and tells me that I should get seen by the GP quite quickly. She was right, it didn't take long. A urine test shows something up and he isn't sure about the pregnancy. He was worried about the placentas and contacted the EPU to say he was sending me straight up.

The Nurse at the EPU was lovely. She asked me to do another urine sample so they could check it again and she checked the heartbeats of the babies which were looking good. A Dr. would be on his way to see us shortly.

When the Dr. arrived I again explained the severity of the pain and the exact location, the right side of my abdomen. He examined me and said that he didn't feel that there was any issues. He explained that they did not have any Radiographers working in the EPU on the weekend and I would have to be admitted overnight and that they would call someone out in the morning but also that he didn't feel it was necessary, especially as I had my 20 week scan on Wednesday. The pain is probably being caused by pulling a muscle or the urine infection itself. I was given a prescription for the urine infection and told that I should mention my visit to the radiographer when I come in for the scan and confirmed again that paracetamol is safe in pregnancy.

After collecting my prescription and arriving home around 7:30pm. Around 8pm the phone rang. It was Lindsay (the Nurse) to let us know that my blood results had come back and that my count was high but it was in conjunction with the urine infection. My brother Howard popped round for a tea to check I was ok - still in pain and lying on the sofa but I felt glad that there wasn't anything wrong with our babies.

Chippenham to get to work and felt that was bad enough.

The pain had eased even more by Tuesday and I managed to do the afternoon appointment. Only as I arrived at the apartment to meet the new tenants I realised my tyre had a puncture. Nightmare. I rang the breakdown no. hoping that they wouldn't be too long. Usually I would change a tyre myself but being pregnant I thought it was a really bad idea. I was then told that my car wasn't covered anymore which was strange as i'd not long been given the policy booklet by the office! I contacted Caroline who came out and started to get the spare out of the boot etc... The new tenant thankfully came to our aid and offered to change it for us. 15 minutes later I was on my way home.

Wednesday 27th July - I'm on my way to work slowly due to the space saver on my car. I left home early as I had my scan in the afternoon and also had to get a new tyre for the car.

I arrived back at the office after getting a new tyre and immediately the phone is handed to me with an issue from a Landlady. Whilst talking to her i'm feeling the most amazing spinning bubble movements under my ribcage on the right hand side. Jean who is standing next to me can even hear it! I grab her hand and see her excitement as she feels one of the babies move - this is the most significant movement yet as it happens over and over again for the next 30 minutes. Jodi has felt very small movements but Craig has yet to catch it at the right time. Dee and Caroline D get involved in the feeling of the baby move but it's time for me to leave the office and meet Craig for my 20 week scan.

We arrive at the hospital and i'm nervous again. Excited that we might find out the sexes of the babies but i'm nervous as this is the scan where they check that everything is developing as it should. As we walk in there are two radiographers as one is a trainee. I mention Saturdays events and also that we would like to know the sex of the babies. The first baby wasn't co-operating as there was too much movement for the trainee to check so we move on to the other baby. Everything is checked first before discussing the sex, all is fine with development and we find out that twin 2 is a boy! There's still a few measurements to collect but the trainee is finding it difficult and hands over to the other radiographer who finishes off twin 2 and moves back to twin 1. All is fine with twin 1 and we are pretty certain that twin 1 is a girl. We've done it, one of each! The placentas are checked and are both anterior high meaning that they are in the middle around my belly button height, placentas look fine.i'm not sure if my cervix was supposed to be checked but they spotted fluid on it and decided that they wanted to check further and do an internal scan. It was found that my cervix had started to funnel and open which wasn't good. It was explained that they weren't happy and that they would get someone to discuss this with us asap.

We are ushered to a room and a midwife arrives to say that the obstetrician will be with us in a few minutes. I'm telling Craig that they might have to stitch my cervix closed which is quite scary! Craig is trying to reassure me that everything will be ok but I could see he was as worried as I was.

The Dr. arrives and it turns out it is the obstetrician who I met a couple of weeks ago. She starts talking about how she spoke about pre-term labour with twins at the appointment and how common it is. She shows us a silicon ring which she is to insert to keep my cervix closed. It was mentioned that my cervix was too far gone to stitch, I then began to worry but I was assured that the rings are very effective and that I was lucky as Swindon is one of the only hospitals that have them.

Craig and I mentioned the pain that i'd been having even though it's only a twinge now and she doesn't think there is a problem. I'm signed off work for two weeks and told to keep my feet up as much as possible until my next scheduled appointment with her at the end of August.

We leave the hospital excited about the fact that we have a little girl and a little boy on their way. We are going straight to see Jodi and phone family on the way to tell them the news and explain about the cervix complication.

Arriving at Jodi's we have little matching girl and boy cuddle blankets waiting for us. Obviously we discuss the cervix complication but we leave on a high.

After a couple of days of lying in bed or on the sofa i'm starting to get quite bored. If I could clean, cook or go out for a while I would be fine but i'm not doing anything and i'm hoping that the rest of the pregnancy won't be like this. I do however think that if it means the babies are safe, it doesn't matter because that's all that I care about.

It's Friday afternoon and i've been feeling irritation on my cervix and starting to worry that the pessary has moved off my cervix. Even though i'm under 22 weeks, the obstetrician has advised me that due to the circumstances I should contact Delivery rather than the EPU. It gets to about 4pm and I phone delivery and explain. They tell me to come straight up and I decide that I should get a taxi. Craig works an hour away so I phoned my brother and said I would be there in 15 minutes.

Craig arrives at the hospital before i'm examined by the Doctor. I have already listened to the heartbeats which are fine. When the Doctor examines me, he can see the pessary is in place and that everything looks fine. He thinks that the irritation of a foreign item in my body is causing what feels like the actual pessary.

It's now Sunday afternoon and I jump at the chance to go to Craig's parents for dinner. I just want to lie on a different sofa. I spend most of the afternoon/evening on the sofa and we decide to leave around 9pm. We arrived home and i'm quite tired so decide to go to bed straight away and put a film on. As i'm getting into bed, the pain which is the same as last weekend suddenly comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment